Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ,
Raising up and nurturing new generations in faith is one of the most important commitments we make as Christians, which is why we make this promise when we celebrate Holy Baptism. It is a sacred covenant that we take seriously at Church of the Holy Spirit.
So much so that that frequently I am asked, “How may we do more to help children and young people grow in faith?”
At a time when many churches struggle to incorporate younger generations into the community of faith, we are blessed with a thriving multi-generational congregation. Nearly one-third of our congregation are in their mid-30’s or younger; of this group, more than 100 are children and youth. We are called by Jesus Christ to create a spiritually-rich environment so that our young people and their families may build the foundation for a life-long journey with God.
This summer, I invite you to join in this holy endeavor and join our fundraising campaign to hire a part-time children’s, youth, and families’ assistant. While we intend to include this crucial position in our 2018 budget, your generosity now will allow us to move forward with this much-needed staff position by the end of this summer and ensure funding through the program year. Our many dedicated and talented volunteers who work with children and youth will be uplifted by this much-needed administrative and organizational support. And, we will recommit ourselves to the promise we made to each of these children and youth at their baptism.
The part-time children’s, youth, and families’ assistant will: provide support for the Sunday School program and teachers; plan and help organize special events; undertake volunteer support, recruitment, and training; pursue and review creative curricula and other programs; participate in Diocesan education and peer programs; increase the integration of children’s and youth programs with other ministries; and communicate regularly with the congregation.
One of the most important things we do as Christians is to follow Christ’s call to share our faith and to nurture faith in new generations. Let’s say, “We will!” and join in this blessed opportunity to serve Christ in a profound and lasting way.
It is a joy to serve with you in the faithful and inclusive ministry of Church of the Holy Spirit.
Faithfully yours in Christ,
Please help us reach our goal of $20,000 to hire a part-time Children’s, Youth, and Family Ministries staff member.
You may use one of the envelopes provided at the church, or click this button for our electronic option (after clicking the “give” button, click on “summer campaign” from the drop down menu):
Did you know?
- Children and youth who are active in church are more likely to practice their faith as adults.
- Multitudes of sociological, psychological, and neuro-psychological studies show that young people who attend church are less likely to pursue unhealthy lifestyle choices than those who do not. And, those who do encounter problems are better empowered to recover or make healthier decisions with the support of a faith community.
- Children and youth seek meaning beyond themselves in a culture that is self-focused and values immediate gratification. Church provides meaning and grounding centered in Jesus Christ, a sense of being a part of something bigger than ourselves, the value of service to others, and the assurance of that we are loved no matter what.
- Church provides healthy social contacts for young people with adults who affirm strong ethics and mutual support.
- Church activities compete with a lot of attractive secular options—we must offer meaningful, well-organized, thoughtful programs that are relevant to today’s children and youth and their families.
- Parents need support and meaningful resources to help nurture faith at home and to be more active in the faith development of their children.